Saturday, February 7, 2009

Part of John's living room and looking into the master bedroom.

While in Kona I stayed with John and Barbra. Their house is at the 1200 foot level so it is always cool to them, 70 to 75 deg F and usually gets an afternoon rain or an evening shower neither last very long. John and I worked on the pipeline when they lived in Alaska but had this house in Kona for years. When I stayed at John’s house I had my own bedroom and bath which was very nice. My bedroom opened to a large screened porch which ran the full length of the house overlooking Kona and the ocean. I always kept the sliding glass doors open so I could hear the ocean and traffic from below, sometimes when the locals were practicing their Hula routine I would hear the chants and beating on the Gourds.While staying with John and Barbra I became friends with their two Rottweiler Puppies, weighing in at about 90 pounds each. “Kai” the male took up with me but I never figured out why, Maybe I slipped him snacks and tidbits from the store and carried dog biscuits most of the time. “Kai” was my alarm clock and every morning at 0600 hrs I would wake up with the feeling that I was being watched, so when I opened my eyes, there was Kai about 2 feet from my face staring me right in the eyes. As soon as my eyes opened he started to wiggle from the tail to his head and prompted me to get up. You can’t argue with a force like that, so I started my day.The routine was great, get up make some fresh brewed Kona Coffee, shower, dress (shorts, golf shirt, sandals, and a smile). By the time I was ready to rock and roll Barbra had breakfast ready. John, Barbra and I would eat on the porch listening to the birds and breathe in the fresh ocean air. We would set down to fresh Papaya, Strawberry Bananas, Hawaiian bread toasted lightly with lots of butter and POG to replace Orange juice. Watch a little news then off to the WW II airstrip for a morning walk before it became too hot.The walking trail is about 10 minutes from the house and was donated by some local groups who had it paved and designated for foot traffic only. The trail which is on the lava flats about 200 yds. from the ocean and a nice beach with a picnic area, was constructed in two elliptical paths. The paths are 0.7 of a mile and 0.3 of a mile breaking it up so you were not committed to a full mile if you so desired. The trails are maintained by local people on a voluntary basis and are kept vibrant with trees, flowers, ferns and succulents. I will go into more detail at a later time.

No comments: